17 July, 2016

When farewell is sweeter...


When time
is no longer shared
when words
are merely assertions
when efforts
are no longer valued
when actions
seem to be obligations
when I am
no longer part of your routine
why stay?
there's nothing sweeter
than bidding farewell
to something thought to be inspiring
to a person considered to be prized
to an idea assumed to be real.
The thought, deprive not
the truth, conceal not
the emotion, question not
this is who I am
that's who you are
let's connect
as IM wants us to
but live
as He destined us so.



I wrote this poem when I thought I had been forgotten by someone I considered very special.

We met on QQ because he enrolled in my class. We had class every night, and he never booked any other teacher except me. He didn't really like the lesson content given to him. Instead of following my lead when I introduced a topic, he preferred to start his own conversation.

He is such a talkative man and he knows so much. Once we started talking about a topic, the conversation just flowed. It felt like we were unconscious of time.

Until one day I woke up and realized we had already developed a friendship — the kind that is difficult to explain. Wherever he went, he would call me. He sent pictures and messages even outside of class time.

The connection was extraordinary because I am a woman and he is a man, and we had just met online. There was no romantic intention, no malice at all. It was a pure, comfortable connection where two people simply enjoyed each other's company and conversation. Honestly, I didn't feel anything wrong about it, which is why I couldn't understand why I felt so hurt when his calls suddenly became less frequent. His messages were no longer as constant as before.

Was I overthinking? Was I just missing his company? I didn't know.

Then I thought, maybe we had to put an end to that connection. Maybe God — the HE in the poem — didn't want us to continue whatever we had. So that was it. I felt sad, but I had to accept the fact that there is a limit to everything.

This experience taught me three things:

1. To value connections, even if you don't know where they are leading.

2. To enjoy the connection while it lasts and to make the other person feel valued.

3. That there is a limit to everything, and when that limit is reached, it is the end. Do not long for more.

📌 Loved this? Share this on Pinterest to remind women that an online connection is just that — nothing more.