Wakito's Pizza House

28 February, 2016

Exodus 5: 1-9

Exodus 5: 1-9
Afterward Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the wilderness.’ ” Pharaoh said, “Who is the LORD, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the LORD and I will not let Israel go.” Then they said, “The God of the Hebrews has met with us. Now let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God, or he may strike us with plagues or with the sword.” But the king of Egypt said, “Moses and Aaron, why are you taking the people away from their labor? Get back to your work!” Then Pharaoh said, “Look, the people of the land are now numerous, and you are stopping them from working.” That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and overseers in charge of the people: “You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don’t reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to our God.’ Make the work harder for the people so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies.”

Message:
Here I learned that the bricks that make up temples and massive statues (not the pyramids) in Egypt were made from clay and straw. These structures were built by the Israelites whom God destined to occupy the Promised Land. However, getting there seemed to have been impossible as Pharaoh was ignorant of God. He declined the request presented by Moses and Aaron, that is for the Israelites to temporarily leave their work for an act of sacrifice. Pharaoh even minced words on the slaves’ unfavorable behavior towards work, thus depriving the slaves’ need for straw which was required in making bricks. The slaves had to find straw plus the fact that the quantity of brick production for a day would still be the same. Hence, the Israelites’ time was consumed working that they did have a moment with God anymore. Pharaoh here can be related to those ungodly people especially employers who have never been considerate of their employees’ need for a holiday for them to attend to their spiritual nourishment. I also relate Pharaoh’s reaction to the reaction of those who judge others because of spiritual activities rather than those who consume their time in worldly happenings. Truly, understanding and consideration for a spiritual undertaking cannot be attained from a person who is ignorant of God. Thus, God must be known to all and that making them know and accept God is a duty and a responsibility of every believer.

Application:
I will devote time in knowing God more so that when I happen to confront such situation, I’ll be able to extend consideration to my fellows regardless of our beliefs. Also, I’ll see to it that I spend more time exploring the Bible than other materials knowing that it’s the Scripture which will provide me the knowledge of God and the understanding of His purpose for my life and others’.

Prayer:

Dear Lord, thank you for this reminder – to prioritize You and to make You known to others. I thank you God for giving me this opportunity to share Your word and to make myself a living testimony of Your great love to humanity. Lord, I might have been like Pharaoh once, but as You provided me people who guided me and prayed with me Lord I overcame my ignorance of You, my selfishness and pride. Dear God, I know I still have a lot to do, a lot to learn to fulfill my responsibilities as a Christian. All seems to be impossible to me, but because You gave me examples Lord through Moses and Aaron, I am given the idea that with your help, your blessings and provisions God all will be possible. Thus, I am now deeply encouraged and I pray for your guidance. Make me a blessing to my fellow believers and a good influence to non-believers that I may contribute to their becoming believers Lord. This I pray in Jesus’ name, amen. 

No comments:

At 47... I realize these: Life is a matter of choice . In every aspect we've got to know, to examine (sometimes none of thi...