Wakito's Pizza House

23 March, 2016

Exodus 13: 11-16

Exodus 13: 11-16
“After the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites and gives it to you, as he promised on oath to you and your ancestors, you are to give over to the LORD the first offspring of every womb. All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD.  Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem every firstborn among your sons.  “In days to come, when your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to him, ‘With a mighty hand the LORD brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.  When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the LORD killed the firstborn of both people and animals in Egypt. This is why I sacrifice to the LORD the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.’ And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the LORD brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand.”

Message:
These verses further the ideas – dedication, sacrifice, redemption and the spiritual education of the children by the parents. Here, dedication of each Jew’s firstborn was made necessary, just like what is generally practiced by believers of God.  Animals were used for sacrifice during the remembrance of deliverance. Those that cannot be sacrificed were redeemed with lamb. I wondered why, and further reading made me understand that the donkey referred here is the “ass” which is included in the list of unclean animals; thus making it unfit for sacrifice.  So, the lamb here which apparently a metaphor for Jesus Christ is a redeemer for unclean animals that may represent the sinners. Further, I am reminded that as a parent, it is my duty to teach my children the word of God, the practices of our faith and their significance not only to people but above all to God.

Application:
As a parent, I will keep in mind these instructions especially the teaching of God’s word and wonderful acts. I will do what needs to be done so that my children will not just be taught of concepts but will have concrete ideas of each matter being dealt with, thus making them attain full understanding of those. As it is said, application comes easier when matters taught are understood well.  

Prayer:

Dear Lord, thank you for reminding me again my duties and responsibilities to my children. Thank you for making me understand that my parenting obligations include the teaching of Your word, works and practices of the church. Lord, had there been times that I missed doing such, forgive me. Lord, I just can’t get enough of You. I’m learning something new each and every day. Thus, I ask for your guidance Lord. Lead me to the people and the materials that will aid for my greater understanding of your word and You as a whole. Father, I also pray for my emceeing job today. Be with me Lord before, during and after the ceremony. Let the Holy Spirit guide me and my partner, sir Cris Lord as we do the task. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

At 47... I realize these: Life is a matter of choice . In every aspect we've got to know, to examine (sometimes none of thi...