Wakito's Pizza House

03 April, 2016

Exodus 17: 8-16

Exodus 17: 8-16
8 The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. 9 Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.” 10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword. 14 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven.” 15 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. 16 He said, “Because hands were lifted up against the throne of the LORD, the LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation.”

Title: Raise your hands to victory

Message: To raise hands is to surrender to God all about us, to trust Him wholeheartedly and to triumph over life’s trials. Moses totally trusted God and obeyed His every instruction; thus, he and his allies became victorious in their fight against the Amalekites. This I can relate to what I underwent when I came to know God and started to trust Him. I used to take things concerning God for granted. I used to depend too much on my very own capacity that I made outright decisions without consulting Him. I’ve been that proud and I thought I was that strong. Until one day I woke up that all about me was a mess. I got broke to the point that I almost ended up begging. My family, my friends could not extend me any help. Nobody assisted me. Life was miserable. Then, I learned to open the bible and started scanning its pages. I eventually read and came upon a realization that I needed God in my life, that I had to restore my relationship with Him. I did go to church, raised my hands in prayers to Him and before I knew it I was already gaining confidence. I got to know people who were serving the Lord. I joined them, immersed myself in God’s word, did my best to manifest Him in my life and I survived. Now, I cannot say that God put an end to all of my problems, that I will never again experience difficulties. However, as I know that I have regained my faith in Him and have renewed my relationship with my God, I can say that whatever problem life may throw upon me I will survive. God is with me and He is my banner. Just like what He provided to the Israelites as Moses’ hands were raised, He will give me strength for me to survive life’s trials. He will give me wisdom that will enable me to come up with decisions which benefit all. He will bestow upon me discernment that will make me identify allies from enemies, that will direct me to the right path. He himself is victory, thus making me claim such.

Promise to Claim: God grants the prayers of those who manifest a steadfast faith in Him, of those who never get weary in raising their hands as they pray and of those who seek assistance from fellow Christians as the need arises. God is triumph and those who trust His promises become victorious in all sorts of fight.

Command to Obey: Raise your hands in prayer to God. Do not hesitate to ask for assistance from your fellows when you feel weary.  Never give in to anything which may weaken your spirit and drive you away from your faith.  

Warning to Heed: Weariness of the spirit brings us defeat, failure, grief.


Application: I will never miss the opportunity of raising my hands to and for the Lord for I know that through such act I worship Him and I honor Him in a manner that He deserves. Just like Moses who had Aaron and Hur to raise his hands as he felt weary, I will not be ashamed of asking my fellows’ advice or assistance as I feel the weakening of my spirit and my faith. In pursuit of spiritual growth and salvation, I will study God’s word, praise and worship God with them. 

At 47... I realize these: Life is a matter of choice . In every aspect we've got to know, to examine (sometimes none of thi...