27 October, 2012

Ambon-Ambon Falls: An Ideal Place for Burning Calories, Unwinding, and Facing Death

Trekking has always been my favorite form of escape. It lets me burn every bit of pent-up energy and gives me that rare chance to commune with nature — no signal, no noise, just rocks, river, and breath.

So when our faculty trip to Laguna included a stop at Panguil River Ecopark for water tubing, and the facilitator casually mentioned, “Ambon-Ambon Falls is hard to reach. Most guests don’t go,” — that was all I needed to hear.

Challenge accepted.

Trekking to the falls wasn’t even part of the itinerary. But nine of us faculty members looked at each other and silently agreed: we’re going.

The Unplanned Trek

What followed was a one-hour battle through the wild. We walked a rocky, uneven trail hidden in thick bushes. We crossed the river three times on a wobbly bamboo raft that felt like it would fall apart any second. We waded barefoot through the stony, freezing river, our slippers in our hands, gripping boulders to keep from slipping.

Every step proved the facilitator right. It was hard. But we went on. And then, we arrived.

The First Sight

Amazement struck me — literally. I stopped walking. Nothing compares to the beauty of Ambon-Ambon Falls.

As I laid my back on a huge boulder beneath it, I instantly understood the name. Ambon-ambon means drizzle. And it was drizzling everywhere, even without rain. A fine, cold mist constantly fell around us.

I looked up and realized why. We were inside what looked like a giant natural dome. The rocky roof curved above us like a cathedral ceiling, with water seeping through its cracks — an infinite, natural shower.

The roar of the falls was deafening, but the view was so marvelous it forced me to be still. I closed my eyes. The sound of cascading water, the drizzle tapping my skin, the cold boulder against my back — it was meditative.

I wanted to stand directly under the surge, but the current was too strong. So I remained seated, content to watch my colleagues take turns diving into the deep pool below — a basin that, they say, is 70 feet deep at its deepest.

The Decision That Almost Killed Us

On the way back, we made a reckless decision. We left the bamboo rafts behind. “Let’s just swim back with life vests!” someone suggested. It sounded adventurous.

It was almost fatal. Three of us barely knew how to swim — including me. Midway through the river, the current grew stronger than we expected. The life vest kept me afloat, but it couldn’t control where the water took me. My feet couldn’t touch the bottom. I panicked, swallowed water, and flailed.

Three of us were pulled apart, gasping, almost drowning. Thank God, the lifeguards were there. They jumped in immediately and dragged us to the shallows. We survived.

On the bus back to Taytay, Rizal, I stared at the reddish blotch on my arm — the mark of someone’s forceful grip trying to save me. And in my head, I kept picturing my family’s face if that grip had not come in time.

Despite it all, I never felt remorse. I felt gratitude. Grateful I insisted on seeing the falls, and grateful I was given a second chance to tell the story. God truly guided us that day.

Ambon-Ambon Falls was not made only to amaze any beholder. It was made to remind us that the most magnificent spots require effort, respect, and humility.

My Key Takeaways After Almost Drowning in Ambon-Ambon Falls

1. Never underestimate nature, even with a life vest. A life vest keeps you afloat, not safe. If you don’t know how to swim, don’t swim in a river current — especially one you don’t know. Respect the water.

2. Don’t make impulsive decisions when you’re tired. We were exhausted from trekking and euphoric from the view. That’s the worst time to make a “let’s just swim” decision. Adventure needs a clear head.

3. Listen to local guides. If they say use the bamboo raft, use the bamboo raft. They know the river’s depth, current, and danger spots better than any visitor.

4. Life is fragile, and gratitude should be instant. I could see the bruise on my arm, but I could also see my family waiting at home. That near-death moment taught me to thank God immediately — not later — for every safe return.

5. The best views come with a price — but don’t pay with your life. Ambon-Ambon is absolutely worth the one-hour rocky trek and calorie burn. Just make sure you go prepared: proper footwear, a guide, and a humble heart.

No comments: