27 July, 2017

Nature's breathtaking formation: Palawan Underground River (2017)

We — the academic coordinators, principals, and the guidance counselor of Taytay United Methodist Christian School — went on a tour. The destination was the Puerto Princesa Underground River.

We took a plane to Puerto Princesa. It was more than an hour but less than two hours in the air. From the airport, we proceeded to Astoria Palawan. The accommodation was excellent, and the food was worth all the dizziness we felt in the van as we traversed the zigzag road going to the resort.

The following day, we got up as the sun rose, all prepared for what we expected to be an exciting boat trip inside the underground river.

Before boarding the boat, we had an orientation on how we should behave inside the cave. We were not supposed to make any loud noise, as it might wake the bats and cause them to fly all over the cave — something we definitely did not want to happen.

Each of us was given a headset to wear. Through it, we could hear an audio guide that explained everything inside the cave. What amazed me was how the narration perfectly caught up with the speed of our boat.

As we reached the entrance, the rock formations immediately amazed me. The amazement only grew deeper as we went further inside.

Of all the places I've been to, this one truly left me in awe. The stalactite and stalagmite formations amazed me to the core — no words can fully describe what I saw. No filter, no camera trick. The photographs below summarize our 45-minute tour inside the subterranean river.

With the help of the audio guide, we were able to identify each formation as we passed by. From the entrance, this is the order in which we saw them:

The Entrance Area

This is where the adventure begins, with huge stalactites and stalagmites greeting us at the cave mouth.

The Torch or The Flame

A jagged, light-yellow formation that looks like a burning torch when the boatman's light hits it.

Palengke / Market Section

This is where the formations look like things you would see in a market.

The Hanging Corn (Mais) - Found about 200 meters from the entrance. These look like corns hung upside down and mark the start of the Palengke section.

The Mushroom - Said to be the main marker of the Palengke section. It looks like a lamp or a mushroom.

The Rope / Spaghetti / Udon Noodles - Thin stalactites that look like a bundle of hanging ropes.

The Curtain - A gray stone with white, inverted V-lines that look like a frozen curtain or veil.

The Snake and The Turtle - Found on the same wall. One is long and curvy like a snake, and the other is round with a little tail, like a turtle.

The Cathedral Dome

This is the largest chamber, about a kilometer inside. This is where we saw:

The Giant Candle - The centerpiece of the Cathedral, a massive stalagmite that looks like a giant melting candle.

The Knights / The 12 Disciples / The Last Supper - A group of formations that look like knights in gray and black, or disciples gathered together.

The Old Couple / Lolo and Lola / The Conversation - It looks like an old man talking to a woman.

The Face of Jesus

The Holy Family

Each formation looked as if it had been finely carved by hand. It was hard to believe they were formed naturally by water, minerals, and time. There were still many others that I was not able to name because they were hard to remember.

In the evening, we had a party by the bay. It was my first party by the bay, so I really enjoyed it — especially when I won the grand prize in the raffle draw. The prize was a one-night stay at Astoria Plaza in Manila.

My takeaways from this trip:

1. Amazing is an understatement to describe the power of nature. The stalactite and stalagmite formations made me realize how water, rock, and soil work together over thousands of years to form figures that look like they were carved by an expert.

2. Following the rules gives us an orderly and satisfying tour. The guide told us that if we had made noise and disturbed the bats, we might not have been able to continue. Discipline made the experience enjoyable for everyone.

3. The people of the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park are very polite and accommodating. Their behavior says a lot about their management. Everything — from the orientation to the end of the boat trip — was orderly and organized.

Will I come back if given the chance?

Definitely.

First, 45 minutes inside was not enough. I was so busy listening and looking that I feel I missed a lot of details. I want to go back and just take it all in more slowly.

Second, I now have better camera knowledge. While in the cave, I was afraid to take clear photos inside because flash was not allowed. Now I know how to take better low-light photos, and I want to try again.

Third, I want to bring my family this time. It is one thing to see it with colleagues, but it would be more meaningful to share the experience with my own family and see their reaction when they see the Cathedral for the first time.

If given the chance, I will not think twice.

No comments: